What Is a Freelancer?
A freelancer is an individual who earns money on a per-job or per-task basis, usually for short-term work as an independent contractor. A freelancer is not an employee of a firm and may therefore be at liberty to complete different jobs concurrently by various individuals or firms unless contractually committed to working exclusively until a particular project is completed.
- A freelancer is an independent contractor who earns wages on a per-job or per-task basis, typically for short-term work.
- Benefits of freelancing include the freedom to work from home or from a non-traditional workspace,a flexible work schedule, and a better work-life balance.
- An example of a freelancer would be an independent journalist who reports on stories of their own choosing and then sells them to the highest bidder.
- Because they are not employees, freelancers do not usually enjoy benefits from their employers such as health insurance or retirement plans.
- Gig workers may also be considered freelancers.
Typically, freelancers are considered independent workers and may do their contract work full time or as a side job to supplement full-time employment, time permitting. Freelancers, as independent contractors, typically require signed contracts for the job to be done and will agree to a predetermined fee based on the time and effort required to complete the task. This fee may be a flat fee or a per-hour, per-day, or per-project fee, or some other similar measure.1
A freelancer tends to work in the creative, skilled, or service sector, such as in film, art, design, editing, copywriting, proofreading, media, marketing, music, acting, journalism, video editing and production, illustration, tourism, consulting, website development, computer programming, event planning, photography, language translation, tutoring, catering, and many more.
16 Best Freelance Websites to Find Work
- 1. Fiverr
- 2. Toptal
- 3. Jooble
- 4. Freelancer.com
- 5. Upwork
- 6. Flexjobs
- 7. SimplyHired
- 8. Guru
- 9. LinkedIn
- 10. Behance
- 11. 99designs
- 12. Dribbble
- 13. People Per Hour
- 14. ServiceScape
- 15. DesignHill
- 16. TaskRabbit